Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Sears GT-6000 garden tractor. It has the Kolher 26

Customer Question

I have a Sears GT-6000 garden tractor. It has the Kolher 26 HP engine, I runs well untill it gets hot and then starts to cut out. I've replaced the fuel filter the fuel cap and the sparkplugs but it still cuts out when hot...Got any ideas?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I also replaced the air filter.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Have you checked, to see if the fuel shut off solenoid, on your carburetor, is failing after it gets hot?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not...How do I check the Solenoid? It seems that the wires are secure and in good condition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Requesting Donald...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the fuel cut off solenoid be removed from the carburetor? It seems the Sears wants to sell the whole carburetor...no replacement solenoid from Sears...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am back with you. Your fuel shut off solenoid, should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off. It has a spring loaded plunger inside, that must retract when your ignition switch is on, in order to allow your fuel to flow through your carburetor. Yes, you can remove it, to test it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, If I can remove it, wgere do I look for a replacement?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I can get you some part numbers, if you have to replace it. I can also tell you where to buy it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, The solenoid works when it is cold...? Now what?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I wonder if it continues to work after it heats up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engiine acts like it has fuel starvation after about 15 min.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess I could let it shut down and just listen for the solenoid when I turn the key?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
That that would be a good test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will not be able to do thatfor another 6 hours....I'll let you know what happens...In the mean time I would appreciate the part number for that solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
No problem. All I need are the model and spec numbers from your engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tractor model is Sears 917.28861 and the Kohler model is the SV736
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I will pull this up for you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Can you double check your numbers? These numbers are not coming up. There should also be some spec numbers on a white tag, on your engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the SPEC number is ***** i MUST HAVE GIVEN YOU THE WRONG MODEL #. IT SHOULD BE SV736. SERIAL NUMBER IS(###) ###-####
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for these numbers. I will check for your part numbers.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Parts List - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Your parts list does not include your fuel shut off solenoid. I will check with my parts distributor, then get back with you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks...I'm traveling so be able to look at this over the weekend. I did not see the right carb kit when I looked let-a-lone the solenoid...thanks!
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know. I will work with you over the weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Donald, did you have any luck finding a fuel shut off solenoid?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am still searching. I will reply back to you, in the morning.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I am back with you. The part numbers for your Fuel Shut Off Solenoid are 24 757 45-S. The part numbers for complete carburetor are 32 853 28-S.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The solenoid is sort of expensive, so it is best to make absolutely sure that yours is bad, before purchasing a new one.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You and I can continue from here. Thanks!