Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My riding lawn mower turns but will not start. checked and

Customer Question

my riding lawn mower turns but will not start. checked and can see spark. tried spraying gas into intake. It was running fine, I stopped for water and when I came back it will not start. not even try. it just keeps turning
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's a 21 hp B&S engine on a craftsman lawn tractor. Engine part number I believe is 331877
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Will it try to start if you put fuel direct into the spark plug hole? If not, remove the rocker cover and check for a pushrod off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didn't put fuel into the Spark plug hole but spray some into the intake and nothing. sometimes i would get one pop (backfire) and nothing else
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Try the spark plug hole, if it starts, check the electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor..It has to oepn as soon as the key is turned on. If not, fuel does not get to the cylinder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked the solenoid and I can see the plunger retracting when you turn the key on
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
oK, do the fuel in the spark plug hole. I see the Briggs solenoids seem to be working, but don't once installed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried starting it without the solenoid. just plugged the whole and tried to start. and still nothing
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Remove the OHV cover and see if the valves are working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, will have to try it tomorrow evening or Saturday
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
OK>