Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Engine surges and then quits! JA: I'll do all I can to help.

Customer Question

Engine surges and then quits!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It is a Scotts by John Deere S2046
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything else. The plugs are new, the gas filter is new.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Will it start right back up ? How long eill it run before dying ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not restart until the unit has cooled down. Sometimes takes up to an hour. When completely cold, it runs for about 15 minutes, then begins surging befor dying.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.
Ok it could be a couple of things , the engine could be losing spark or compression. If you get a spark tester it would be best to check for spark right after it dies . The other thing is compression , a 4 cycle engine needs over 60 psi to run, most riding mower engines have 90 to 120 psi . So you would have to check the compression before starting the engine and right after it dies , if it's 85 to 90 before starting and 55 right after it dies.. you know it's a compression issue