JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

I have a Troy-Bilt Tiller with a Tecumseh TC300 engine. After

Customer Question

I have a Troy-Bilt Tiller with a Tecumseh TC300 engine. After some repair work, it will start and idle but when I pull the throttle lever it will not increase speed.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
HI, my name is***** will be assisting you.It sounds like you just need to open the high side carburetor adjustment screw about an 1/8 of a turn which should solve your issue. It just isn't getting quiet enough fuel to keep it running at higher throttle or rpm.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
If you need an engine diagram I am sure that I can provide one for your. I will need the spec or type number from the engine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no carburetor adjustment screws. Just an engine governor screw.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Which carburetor do you have on this machine? The majority of those do have adjustments located on the bottom of the carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no carburetor adjustment screws. Just an engine governor screw. the engine model is either TC300 or TC11
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If you have no adjustment screws on the carburetor then you will need to remove the carburetor, take it apart and thoroughly clean all of the fuel passages and jets internally in order to solve the issue. There is a restriction in the carburetor that is not allowing enough fuel through in order for the engine to accelerate properly. I would also recommend while you have the carburetor off and apart that you go ahead and install a rebuilt kit, this could save you the hassle of having to take it off a second time. Sometimes the rubber diaphragms in the carburetor become stiff and just will not pump the fuel properly in order for the engine to run correctly. The kit part number is ***** likely a RK-18HU Tillotson, that is what the majority of the TC300 engines use however without a engine spec number or the numbers off of the side of the carburetor it is difficult to know for certain.Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.Please take a moment to rate your experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
John was totally wrong. There are no adjustment screws on my carburetor I discovered a missing return spring on the throttle lever. Please credit my account for your charges.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.
I am only able to answer your questions with the limited amount of information that you provide. If you would have provided the spec number from the engine as I asked or the carburetor numbers from the carburetor itself I could have given you more specific information to your exact machine. With the information that I had I could only work with what I normally see on the engine or the machine.I will forward your request to a moderator who will review the conversation and be back in contact with you.