Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an Onan Marquis 5000 gasoline generator that will start

Customer Question

I have an Onan Marquis 5000 gasoline generator that will start but will not idle up when putting a load on it, it will just bog down and die. Could it be the electronic governor?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
It is extremely rare for a governor to go bad, but yes, it could be. It is much more common for the clip holding the governor rod to the governor actuator to break or come loose. You should NEVER use the low idle stop screw as a governor. It is a good way to burn up a genset fast.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I orderd new Onan fuel, air & oil filters and spark plugs from online, they came in yesterday. If the weather permits I will change the oil and put on the new parts today. Then I will look for the governor clip to see if it broke or came off. Is the fuel filter hard to get to?I Got it about the low idler screw.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Where the fuel filter is depends on exactly which model of genset you have.Most are very easy to get to, but there are a couple that are not so easy.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
Was this what you wanted to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fuel filter number that the manual called out, was not the right one that I need. So I am ordering a new one. It doesn't look like the governor clip is off or broken. I did change the air filter, the old one was pretty dirty. And the old oil was pretty black. I still got the spark plugs to change out. I didn't put a load on it yet. I had something else come up. I will get back on it this weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I reset the idler screw back to the preferred idle?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 year ago.
You have to connect a frequency meter to the output, and manually pull the governor down. The idle stop screw needs to be set so the frequency can not drop below 52 Hz.