Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Put in a new connecting rod and tightened bolts to hold on

Customer Question

put in a new connecting rod and tightened bolts to hold on crankshaft. how tight should they be . and do ?I need locktight on them. It seems like now I am having an awful time turning enine by hand. why ?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: i had to sand the crank where the connecting rod connected. should I be able to turn engine fairly easy after new rod is replaced ?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dan. My name is***** brand is your engine? Do you have the model numbers for your engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry your site is not working right. its a 21 hp briggs and stratton it had a failure due to low oil . moel(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry briggs and stratton
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks Donald
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any thing else?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan for this information. I can get the torq specs for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that my problem .
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. Your engine should turn freely. Do you already have your sump/oil pan on? Your engine will turn easier, after sump is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any ideas
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I can help you find the problem. Did you oil your connecting rods?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I oiled top and put a little grease on crank.Dont have a tork but snugged them up pretty good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what do you think ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you clean up the journal on your crankshaft really good?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
These are only troubleshooting questions ...
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you check the upper bearing area for scoring? In the area where your crankshaft comes out?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I would remove the rod cap, and start over, just to be sure you have your cap installed correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i sanded it in block as best I could I thouht i got the burrs out . It did turn hard till piston reached top and its somewhat stuck. . what do you think and I did not put base on so thats where I am at. I did notice when I backed out bolts connecting to crank it turned easier. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
crank did turn easily. when connecting rod was not connected. the channel where connecting rod connects to crank did have some grooves and roughness . I really thought I got it good . What should I tork those bolts at ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will check my manual for your torq specs.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Are there still some roughness and grooves on your crankshaft?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do I need to pop fly wheel off to pull out crank ?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct. I would remove the crankshaft, and use some emery cloth to smooth and polish the rough area, as best as possible.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Torq Connecting Rod 150 inch pounds ...