Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I HAVE OLD TECUMSEH 6HP WITH OIL INSIDE FLYWHEEL, THE AIR GAP

Customer Question

I HAVE OLD TECUMSEH 6HP WITH OIL INSIDE FLYWHEEL, THE AIR GAP IS .036" (APPROX.). THIS SEEMS WIDE TO ME. IF SO HOW DO I CORRECT THIS PROBLEM?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: IS .036" (APPROX.). THIS SEEMS WIDE TO ME. IF SO HOW DO I CORRECT THIS PROBLEM
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I CAN'T GET SPARK, NEW COIL, POINTS AND CONDENSER. WON'T PRODUCE SPAARK. IT WAS RUNNING GOOD LAST TIME 4 HEARS AGO.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain the oil inside your flywheel? Do you know if your upper oil seal is at fault?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE OLD TECUMSEH 6HP WITH "COIL" INSIDE FLYWHEEL. This question is about the air gap between the magnets and the coil.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for clarifying this. I initially read "Old Tecumseh 6 Hp with oil inside flywheel"
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
I will check to see what the gap need to be set at.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Did you remove your stator plate, to put on your new coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the flywheel which presented the coil. After that I removed the coil, which required that I also remove the high tension wire, the primary and the ground connections.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this information. Did you mark the orientation of your two stator bolts prior to removing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Great. I am about to attach some information for you, relating to your ignition.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Click on the link below, to open the information.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
The air gap between your coil and flywheel, should be .0125 (.317 mm).
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
After you download the information, take a look at page 65, number 14. This shows the stator plate I am referring to.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
If you marked your stator plate, prior to removing the two bolts, then your gap should be close enough, to at least get a spark, considering everything else is proper.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Also, take a look at the video in the link below. Compare your repair steps, to the steps in the video. Video - Click Here
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
Double check to make sure that one of your wires are not going to ground. Also, in most cases, new points have to be sanded, prior to being used. Sometimes there is a coating on the contacts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanx for the great help. Timely and clear.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!