Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is***** and I have a two year old D 160

Customer Question

Hello! My name is***** and I have a two year old D 160 Lawn Tractor. I stored the battery in my home over the winter, then just attempted to start the mower when battery was attached. I went to the Downingtown, PA. Little" John Deere dealer to explain my problem and perhaps to schedule a maintenance appointment. I was told to simple use my car to jump start the battery which may have lost some juice over the winter even though it was stored inside. This I attempted to do. Just like before I attempted to jump start the mower, the lights were working and the engine turns over and well it just won't start. I've checked the sparked plugs to make sure they had contact but it just won't turn over. Do you have any suggestions at this point? I attempted to contact the Downingtown dealer but I understand they close at 2:00 on Saturdays
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If you remove a spark plug and ground it , do you have spark? If you have spark, do you hear the fuel solenoid in the carburetor click when you turn the key on and off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for my ignorance but I don't understand what it means or how to ground my spark plugs. I removed the rubber cover and checked that the spark plugs were free from any dust or dirt then replaced the rubber connection to the plug. When I attempt to start the mower, it sounds like it always does. I'm getting a strong turn- over sound like it's ready to start but it doesn't turn over. If you could explain the issue with the spark plug I'll give that a shot and I've always had a clicking noise whenever I've attempt to start the ignition. Thanks for your response.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Weather all evening! No Hughes net! Do you have a spark plug to attach to the spark plug wire? Remove the spark plug wire, slip the spare spark plug into the wire, and place the metal threads of the spark plug, on the engine metal(grounded) . The crank engine and watch for spark on the plug tip. If it has spark, you are not getting fuel to the cylinders.