Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is ***** *****, we have spent nearly 1,400.00 trying

Customer Question

Hi, My name is ***** *****, we have spent nearly 1,400.00 trying to get our cub cadet RZT series tractor Model RZT 50 repaired. It surges at high speed and then stalls. The fuel pump and fuel filter have been replaced. the battery and some of the electrical lines. it runs longer at slow speed but will still eventually stall. Im losing my patience with the repair guy. Why are none of the repairs fixing the problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The repairs began a year ago. We sent it in to a big tractor dealership. They gave it a tune up and supposedly fixed it. They delivered it back to us and after cutting grass for 30 minutes it began stalling again. it would restart but after cutting for 5-10 minutes it would stall again. I called the dealership that repaired it and they said they would come out and run it in my yard and try to figure it out. They didnt come and then the weather got bad. It wouldn't start so it sat in my driveway all winter with a tarp over it. They finally came out and picked it up. They said there was water in the carburator and that was the problem all along! they never said anything about that the first time. Our mower is usually stoerd in a garage. It sat out over the winter because I couldnt move it. When they brought it back again it was still doing the same thing. I called them again and the manager said alright Ill send him back out, but if there's water in the carburator it's not on us. He was implying that I had done something to it in the 24 hours it was at my house. The guy came out and ther was no water in the carburator. He did find that the engine was not getting enough fuel so he replaced the fuel pump right there. needless to say it ran for 20 minutes and started doing the same thing again.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
The fuel supply has to be checked to the carburetor, If it has fule to the carburetor , problem has to be at the carburetor. In the base of the carburetor is a solenoid, that is used to plug the main jet in the carb. It has to open as soon as the key s turned on and has to stay open as long as the key is on. If this solenoid relaxes as engine runs, it stalls the engine and starves it for fuel. Best test is to remove the solenoid and plug the hole!
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming it is a fuel problem. If it is loosing spark ,then it is a whole different issue. When it stalls will it immediately restart, but runs for lesser time?