Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have craftsman riding lawn with a 20.0 that I am having a

Customer Question

i have craftsman riding lawn with a 20.0 that I am having a problem with starting the engine. The fuel pump on back of engine is blowing fuel and what appears to be oil out of the small screen in the fuel pump and the engine starts and runs a few minutes, but it smoking really bad and then quits.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Check the oil level and the smell of the oil , to see if it has gas mixed with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oil is about half of what is should be and it does smell like fuel. last September I replaced the fuel pump and it was doing the same thing, but it never seem to fix it completely, it has gotten worst sense them.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Fuel in the oil comes from a leaking needle valve in the carburetor. And only happens when engine is not being used. A fuel shutoff in the line from the tank will take care of it. You need to change the oil, then see if the engine runs and stops smoking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so, how do I fix the leaking needle valve in the carburetor?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Put a new needle valve and seat in carburetor or replace the carburetor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I know what the needle valve is?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_walbro_lmt_carb.asp
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
See figure 6 in the above link.