Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Huskee 26hp mower. Two things, I knew the solenoid

Customer Question
Hi. I have a Huskee...
Hi. I have a Huskee 26hp mower. Two things, I knew the solenoid was going bad because it would click a few times before starting. For awhile I could tap the back of the mower and it would start. I knew that was the case. Anyhow I was about to mow and the pto would not work and a minute later,while running fine , the mower cut off completly and I have No power at all. Is there a fuse that may have blown and if so I cant find it. Btw I have just replaced the solenoid and still nothing. Thank you for you help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thats about all I know..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
3/31/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. It is very likely that your fuse is actually blown. If you can get the model numbers from under your seat, I can pull up a diagram, to show the location of your fuse.

Is your solenoid at the front or rear of your mower?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for responding. The solenoid is in the back under the seat along with the battery. Model number is ***** number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?

I am with you now. Thanks for waiting.

Your fuse is located at the rear of your mower, behind your battery.

Remove your battery and your battery holder, then look through the opening, toward the rear of your mower.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ill look

Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont see it right off. Is it in the plastic covering that covers the wiring harness?
Like i said I replaced the Solenoid

Check for a small red wire that attaches to either your battery, or your solenoid. This small red wire should have your fuse in-line.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The small red wire is attached with the positive battery cable but i see no fuse. i peeled back some of the plastic casing but I still see no fuse.

I tried to locate a wiring diagram for your mower, but I was unsuccessful. The small red wire usually has an in-line fuse. Check for a red wire coming from your ignition switch wiring connector. Let's see if your fuse is on this end of your red wire. This is the wire that powers your ignition switch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thats what i would think. I was just looking at that. i may have to remove the gas tank. Hopefully not.

Let's hope not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ill have to. I cant get to it otherwise. Strange things.

Take your time. I will be here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

You are very welcome...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I still do not see a fuse..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i found the fuse.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im gonna replace it of course and see what happens.

BINGO!!

Was it behind your fuel tank?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir. This may help in the future to someone. Its actually on the side wall where the side engine wall mounts .

Absolutely helpful. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just hope it dont blow another one. Are you available after I put it back together?

I will be away from my computer, but I will have my mobile phone available to correspond to you. It works the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok cool.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it running but the pto wont kick in.

Very good! Do you have a multimeter, or a 12 volt test light to test voltage to your pto clutch.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I dont unfortunatley.

We need to determine if our problem is caused by your pto switch, pto clutch, loose connection, etc.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
True. I have a feeling that its the switch itself or the expensive clutch.

Hopefully it is not your pto clutch. You can wire your clutch directly from your battery, to check it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You mind telling me the best way to do that?

Your clutch should have a negative and a positive wire in the connector, that attaches to it. You can run a jumper wire from your battery, to the positive wire that goes to your clutch. If your clutch is ok, you should hear a click. If you do not hear a click try jumping both wires. You can run a jumper wire from your frame to the negative wire on your clutch.

If your clutch is ok, sometimes the problem can be either lose of ground, or lose of voltage. Without a testing tool, you will have to do it this way.

Process of elimination.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got under it and it appears that the steering is actually hitting the cluch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This looks like the clutch wasnt torqued up enough on the shaft?

That shouldn't prevent it from at least clicking. Tighten your bolt, then try it again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Im gonna have to take it off. looks like a wire is by itself above the clutch and i noticed that it dont wanna turn correctly. Im sure there is a correlation.

It could be.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician