Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

A friend has a Briggs & Stratton standby generator with a

Customer Question

I'm Bob. A friend has a Briggs & Stratton standby generator with a 810cc Briggs engine. (Model: 49G575 0111 E2, s/n 121024YG85602). My friend wanted to perform an annual oil & filter change. He used a NAPA oil filter which crossed directly to/from the Briggs filter (492932). Afterwards, the oil leaked out, seemingly from directly under the filter while the engine was not running. He then purchased the OE filter. This filter also dripped slightly when engine was not running. Then, when the engine was started, oil blew out from around the filter seal area forcefully. Any ideas? i know I'm missing something. I've been working on engines for a great many years and I'm about to do a teardown to find the problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The generator is a 2012 model. Not used much, but run monthly.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Part#: 696854 filter? The old gasket was not left under the new filter?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

By engine model, it shows the 696854 filter not the 492932.??

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
492932 is the filter called out in the owners manual for this particular generator. No, the old gasket was not left on. I removed the filter adapter to look at the o-ring under the oil cooler diverter. It looks OK. The threads in the block where the adapter pipe threads in look a little shaky though. I wonder if the adapter is not threaded in squarely. Again, several filter brands were tried. All leaked with engine shut down. After the Briggs filter was used, the engine cannot be run because of the massive leak around the filter seal.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Briggs parts book for the engine you named, shows the other filter. I would get one and try it!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

After checking the filters, they are interchangeable. Same thread and gasket pattern. Engine has not been overfilled and the oil is coming out from excessive crankcase pressure?