Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Curtis. I have a 10 year old Kohler CV15 engine on a

Customer Question
Hi Curtis. I have a...
Hi Curtis. I have a 10 year old Kohler CV15 engine on a Craftsman riding mower. The motor cranks and turns over with starting fluid but won't stay running. I checked the fuel lines, changed the fuel filter but gas doesn't seem to reach the carburetor. Engine also backfires before it stalls. Any thoughts?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
3/28/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Does the carburetor have a solenoid in the base of it? If it does, does this solenoid click as soon as you turn on the key? The solenoid can be stuck, it plugs the main jet in carburetor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does click so it seems to be making contact.

If you remove the fuel line at the carburetor, do you have fuel when cranking? If fuel is reaching the carb, remove the float bowl and check for fuel flowing thru theneedle valve passage, this will also give you chance to check the solenods pluger , to be sure it is not stuck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I cranked the engine with the fuel line disconnected at the carburetor but no fuel came out. The solenoid was disconnected when I did it. Would that make a difference?

No, if no fule check back to the supply, is this gravity flow or does it have a block mounted fuel pump?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fuel pump is block mounted. I replaced it last year.

What is Deere mower model? Where is the fuel coming from? Many Deere's have suction tube in top of tank, and the tube and hose to the pump has to be vacuum tight, or pump will not suck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a Craftsman. Not sure of model number but it's an older one. probably 1990's. (Engine was replaced about 10 years ago.) The gas tank is under the seat but there is no suction tube that I know of. When I disconnect the line from fuel pump the fuel gravity feeds thru the filter to the pump connection. Could their be an air lock? do I need to pressure feed fuel into the pump and to the carb?

Don't know where I cam up with Deere! But ok, of the fule is getting to the pump, it should work. If no output when cranking, pump is bad, or it is not being worked by the engine side cam?? Has to be at the pump!

if the fuel is

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The pump has a cam lever. Should I remove it and inspect to see if it's broken or bent the wrong way?

Yes, take off the pump and bench test it and feel inside to see if the pump is being worked. If not you can add a pulse pump instead of the cam pump.

with gravity flow from tank, you can bypass the pump and go direct to the carburetor to see if engine runs!

My response shows as customer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK. I will try that later. I will contact you tomorrow to let you know if it worked.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help Curtis. It's been helpful.

OK> Thanks

Did you get it going?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician