Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

1998 sabre garden tractor with 20 hp vanguard v-twin started

Customer Question

1998 sabre garden tractor with 20 hp vanguard v-twin started spitting fuel out the overflow tube at carb. I put new battery in to see if it was a low voltage to float solenoid prob and it worked for several cuttings but the next time I went to use it it started spitting gas again. I can heat the the float solinoid click when I turn the key. what can I do to troubleshoot this intermitten problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel out the overflow is the needle valve and float m nt shutting off the gas entering the carburetor. Need to check the float and the needle valve. Do you have the engine model numbers? example(###) ###-####B1

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

See link, is this your carb? The fuel solenoid had nothing to do with the fuel leaking from the overflow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is it. could it be the solinoid is weak or the needle valve worn out?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid is NOT problem. Needle valve may need to be replaced, or the float may not be floating! Float has to push needle to seat it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Solenoid is anti-backfire solenoid and closes the main jet when the key is off, keeps engine from backfiring when key is turned off and engine is hot. Serves no other purpose.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10-4 on that. I will check it as per link you gave me. I also have a factory manual. I also would like to say that when it's not spitting ( started late in season last year ) gas it still runs excellent. thank you....
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Sure sounds like float and needle valve to me!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

My response shows as customer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Please accept to close and get me credit.