Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My issue is regarding the PTO not engaging, At first the

Customer Question

My name is***** issue is regarding the PTO not engaging
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: At first the mower was throwing up a code of hydraulic oil overheating and I discovered that the brake cable was stuck so I installed new one and that corrected the overheating but pro won't engage now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Make , model? Tractor, not mower? Is pto engaged with button or manual lever?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
997 mower John Deere electric PTO button
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

On top of the transmission is a single solenoid valve, it is the pto solenoid. Check it for voltage , key on, pto switch on. Engine does not have to be on. If it has voltage , the solenoid may not be working. No voltage, check the wire harness from solenoid back to the switch. I assume you have battery voltage to the switch ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the mower not running but switched on it has 1.2 volts but with it running it has 13 volts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

13 volts should work the solenoid, I would remove the solenoid and see if it will make a magnet when bench tested.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is very week magnet how strong should it be
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would just remove the coil and test it before going into the valve. If it makes a magnet, then the valve may be stuck and you would want to remove the lower section.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It should grasp a screwdriver inside the coil and hold it from falling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't hold up a small Allen wrench how can I see if the valve is stuck
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You would have t remove it, and with coil back in place, energize the coil and see if the valve moves. The inner section is what moves, it is not more than a pin the size of a toothpick, that moves up and down.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With coil not holding allen wrench, the coil may be bad!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it require a special tool to remove valve
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It should just have a hex for wrench/socket and screw out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it require a special tool to remove
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

It should just have a hex for wrench/socket and screw out

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I have to leave for about an hour to go shop with wife. I will check back!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get the solenoid off but don't see how to remove valve
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

O'm back,let me take a look.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Th spool that the coil goes around, has flats on the base of it, to let you get a wrench on it and screw it out. The section with the needle in it should not need to be taken apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm thinking the valve is not working correctly are they any way to test it
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have it out? Install the coil and bench test with 12 volts, energize the solenoid and see if the pin moves in the valve. If it does, the valve is ok. If not, the coil or the valve is bad.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I replaced solenoid and valve and still does not work any suggestions
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You do have full battery voltage to the solenoid? Do you have the shaft off the mower deck, to see if the pto shaft from transmission turns at all when you turn on the pto? If you do, and the shaft turns , but without power, the internal pto clutch can be bad! Did pto quit under use or was it working one day and not the next ?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Has oil been drained and checked for debris ? If pto clutch has burned up, there may be debris in bottom of case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I took it to dealer because hydraulic oil temp light was on he told me pump had bad seal but I took pump to shop and it checked out good it turned out brake was locked on right side but pro hasn engaged
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pro hasn't engaged since I put pump back on didn't see anything in oil
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Pump? I didn't see anything about a pump.???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the original problem we thought
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What pump was changed? Pump that runs hydrostat? I assume hydrostatic works? Brake cable was all I read you changed!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had hydraulic shop test drive pump yes it drives fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any suggestions
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Need to test the pressure to the pto clutch, but I don't have manual showing test port. Need to see if clutch will hold pressure and if it is getting oil from the solenoid. But I believe there is one! The hydraulic oil temperature may have been caused by pto clutch! I will opt out and see if one of the Deere guys can add anything. Sorry.