Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a lawnboy zeroturn with a Honda engine that I have

Customer Question

I have a lawnboy zeroturn with a Honda engine that I have cleaned the carb and replaced the plugs and still won't start. It has fuel getting to it and also tried to use starter fluid and still nothing.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It turns over but doesn't give the since of trying to start if that makes since.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Single cylinder or twin engine? Check for spark at the the spark plug, by removing and grounding plug to the metal of the engine with wire attached, and see if you have spark when cranking. If this is Honda twin, it has a stop diode that can go bad and kill spark to both cylinders.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Honda model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GXV530 SINGLE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not happy with your first response. There is spark
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You have spark and fule and it would not fire with starting fluid? How did this begin? How many hours on the engine?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

This is a timing belt engine and if it does not fire, the timing can be off from a slipped or broken timing belt . Remove the valve cover and see if the valves are moving.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a older mower always garage kept with probably 400 hours. It ran a little sluggish last season with motor having surges in power
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

And a GXV530 is a twin engine !

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I apologize for that. I am not a mechanic but know enough to be dangerous. Lol
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Timing belts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how hard is this to tear apart and figure out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i take to a shop how many hours should I expect this to take? Or is this something I can do myself?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would do some more checking first, like remove the valve covers and check the valve operation. If valves are not moving, the belts are broken. The belts are not an easy fix, and unless you are good with engines, I would not suggest you try it.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

With a service manual , you could do it. At a mower shop figure it will be $500 for repair.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
remove the valve cover then try firing engine? If they move then where does that leave me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to dump a lot of money in it since it is so old.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It almost seems as if not getting fuel but I have pulled hoses and seen it pump thru when trying to start it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

One thing to try, would be to remove the spark plugs, and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into each spark plug hole, re-install the spark plugs and see if it will start for a few seconds. If it does, the carburetor is not letting fuel through. It it makes no attempt to start, then the timing is likley problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ends up in don't have spark in either of the plugs. Is it really possible for both coils to go bad at same time? Any ideas?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No spark! Ok,did you remove the kill wires from each coil and test? More likley the kill diode is bad, than both coils!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do i remove kill wires?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Some where up the wire, they connect with the diode harness, unplug them there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plug wires run back to coil so guess it is a wire that runs to coil as well?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, each coil has a small wire, that is the kill wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so I unplugged the wire going to the coil and even traced it all the way down no bare wire exposed. Still no spark. Could it be the magnet? Keep in mind that when I changed the plugs one was dirtier than the other and sometimes when it ran last year it would run real good then start running sluggish, if I turned off for about 30 min then it would run real strong again. Also sometimes when I turned off it would backfire, not all the time just periodically.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you check both coils / cylinders for spark? I have never seen a magnet lose it's magnetism. The one coil you checked may be bad, that would explain why one spark plug was dirty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
checked both coils and no spark.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

No spark with kill wires removed, has to be bad coils.?? Seems odd that both would have failed? How did this all start? From that, I would replace both coils and the stop diode, as it may have let voltage go to coils and ruined the coils. And remember these coils are right and left, so can not be swapped.