Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My name is ***** *****. I am call about an 2005 Onan Gas

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I am call about an 2005 Onan Gas Generator. I am getting gas in my oil. I pulled out the oil dipstick and gas mixed with oil cam pouring out. Could my carb float be stuck?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The generator is an 5500, model and serial numbers are F040651300 and 5.5HGJAB-1038C
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The carburetor needle valve is the usual culprit , which is controlled by the float. What fuel pump type do you have? An electric pump that does not shut off, can over pressurize the float and needle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure on the type of fuel pump. Can you send me a carb diagram showing how to access the float and needle valve?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That looks like my carb.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I don't have exact diagram, but here is link to a basic carburetor, Your's is similar and float and needle valve are accessed the same. Your carburetor should look like the above link. The lower link is the diagram of basic carb.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get the lower link showing the diagram
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I was working on it! See it above your response!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_single_ohv_nikki_carb.asp