Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My 19.5 HP lawn mower has no spark. is this a common problem

Customer Question

My 19.5 HP lawn mower has no spark. is this a common problem and an easy fix. I'm at about 500hrs. Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Let's see what engine you have.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Engine is Briggs opposed twin engine, It has a single coil for both spark plugs. Locate the coil next to the flywheel, and remove the single black kill wire, then check for spark. If no spark, the coil is bad. See 333 on the link above I sent.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Of you do have spark, coil is good and problem is either the kill wire or the keyswitch shorting out the coil.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the tip. I have intermittent spark. Does a coil either work or not? Also does it matter that the coil and flywheel are rusty?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would clean the rust off the flywheel magnet and the tips of the coil. But removing the kill wire would be my first test!