Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My fuel system is sucking air from somewhere. I replaced the

Customer Question

my fuel system is sucking air from somewhere. I replaced the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. also replaced the fuel pump. the mower runs a while the scarves for fuel. if I shut it off and let the fuel filter refill itself it runs for a while again and so on and so on.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I removed the fuel line from the tank and put it in a jar of fuel to eliminate the fuel tank having a leak. it did the same thing.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does engine quit? And how long before it will restart? What is the engine make and model number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will run out of fuel completely. but you let it sit a few minutes and fuel filter refills and it will run fine until it starves for fuel again. it is a kohler 14hp command ohv. spec # *****
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You said it does the same from another fule container. Fuel filter is never showing full when engine is running. So it may not be loosing fuel. Does it have the electric solenoid in the carburetor base? Does it stop suddenly, like fuel is shut off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does have a silenced but it have never stopped suddenly like it's been shut off.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

You replaced fule pump, but did you check the pulse line from the crankcase for pulse? It is what has to power the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
solenoid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fuel filter bubbles when the engine is running
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Only place fuel system can get air is on the suction side of the fuel pump. Everything after pump is under pressure. You didn't mention fuel filter, was it replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
replaced fuel filter too
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

What is engine in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cub cadet 2135 mower
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I would have thought fuel tank debris, if you hasn't already checked with a separate fule container. Does this engine have the mechanical fuel pump, not pulse pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mechanical pump brand new
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not convinced it is sucking air. If you take test line direct from fule pump suction, into container, no fule filter, will it still stall? If it does, you do not have a suction probem/ something else is going on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I'll try that and get back with you in a few
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I removed the fuel line from the top side of the filter and put in a container of fuel. the mower ran fine until the container was dry.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So you eliminated the tank outlet line?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Would make me think that the fuel tank outlet is restricted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I removed the fuel line from the tank a placed it in a container of fuel and got the same results
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Fuel line new?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do a vacuum test of the line, it may have a pin hole in it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

OK>>

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Did you find the problem?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I didn't hear back from you. Was hose sucking air?