Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My onan 7000 generator won't start. The starter spins, but…

Customer Question
my onan 7000 generator won't...
my onan 7000 generator won't start. The starter spins, but won't engage. what could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
This generator is on an RV , extremely hard to work on. It puts out 56.7 amps.
Model No.7NHMFA26105F
3/18/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If the starter is spinning, but not engaging the fan, you most likely have a broken drive gear on the starter. This is a fairly common issue.

You will need to pull the starter and check it.

I have found that it is much easier to just replace a starter than it is to try and replace a broken drive gear.

Have you ever worked on one of these on a motor home(rv). Its in the left rear compartment, and I don't know exactly how to get to it. Its in a Winnebago Vectra. I can't tell if it slides out or not. What is your recommendation on this?

I work on these for a living. Yes, I have worked on thousands in motorhomes.

Each manufacturer and model are different - I can not tell you how yours is mounted, as I can't see it.

There are very few that are mounted on slides, most are just bolted in.

Sometimes you have to remove the genset.

Sometimes there is room to get over the top.

Sometimes you can actually pull a starter from underneath the coach.

Was this what you wanted to know?