Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Snapper P2187520BVE will not start with electric start,batt

Customer Question

Snapper P2187520BVE will not start with electric start,batt is new,but will start with one pull of rope start. will still not restart on electric start after stopping.choking does no good.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Looking at a diagram of your starter etc , it doesn't look to have a fuse in it so it could be the ignition switch itself or the motor , does it click etc when you turn the key ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
starter turn over just fine,but will not start the motor ! nothing wrong with switch. motor just keep turning over but will not start. but give it a pull on manual and it kicks right off !
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Ok , thanks , I was under the impression the starter wasn't working at all but being it's turning the motor over it sounds like it's not allow g spark to the plug . You are grabbing the bail just like when starting right ? . Do you have access to a spark tester

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is a spark tester ? yes, the bail is closed when starting. how can I check if plug is not getting spark other than a tester?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

What a tester des is show if these spark , it is used to test coils etc . Some people do test for spark by removing and grounding the plug and leaving the coil wire hooked to the plug but it's hard to see if the spark .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what can we do if there is no spark ?
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

Well we know the coil is good because it starts and runs when pull start is used . Normally can you kill the motor with the key ? Like switch it off ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That makes me question the key switch . It could be keeping the coil grounded , so you turn the key , engine spins over but that switch could be not opening the circuit for the coil . When you do start it what position is the key in ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its in the ON position
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

What about pull starting it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I pull start the key is on
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 1 year ago.

That's odd because it's allowing spark when pull start , unless when your turning the key to start it's turning the engine over but keeping the coil grounded . A spark tester would confirm it