Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Generac 10Kw propane air cooled generator. Worked

Customer Question
Hi I have a Generac...
Hi I have a Generac 10Kw propane air cooled generator. Worked fine until this winter when I replaced the control panel. It now won't start when in auto mode. Panel indicates over cranking and shut down. Even when I try to start in manual mode, it overcranks, almost starts and then shuts down. I can smell the fuel so think it might be getting to much. If I wait a minute after shut down, the unit re-starts on first try with no problems. Throttle or choke arm pushes in when the unit first tries to start but dose not disengage or move during or after it tries to start on its own, even during the 5 auto start ups. Arm does move back to original position after shut down as well as when I finally get it to manually start. Any ideas on what the problem might be. Had the service people here a few times to fix and they installed a warming blanket as well as greased the choke arm but the problem continues to persist.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
3/13/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 1 year ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

What problem did you have that you had to replace the controller?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Hank, sorry to take so long to get back to you. The model is a 10Kw, there is no model # ***** say, the model is the amount of electrical output. By the way the unit is a Generac garden electrical generator, not a genset. The controller was replace because the display could no longer be read and the unit was starting to have some problems starting as described in my original question (was hoping the new control panel would fix the starting problem as well since the technician thought it might be the problem). The technician who came out (a number of times) suggested the last time here it might be the gas line from the propane tank, but it was to cold to uncouple from the unit and test. I more inclined to believe it is in the choke or throttle mechanism (not sure what it is call since it is not identified in the manuals I have). This mechanism looks like it is involved in the start up of the generator since it pushes in when the unit is trying to start and releases once it either shuts down as described in my question or when the unit starts. It presently stays pushed in when it is cycling through the multiple start ups or the unit registers a over crank situation. I not sure but I think the mechanism should release after each try. I did advise the technician of my thoughts but he kind of dismissed this idea as the reason for the start up failure. I need this unit to be functional since I am not always at my cottage residence and I have to rely on this generator to maintain power for the furnace in the event of a power failure. Any suggestions as to why it won't start on it's own. It does easily start when I let the unit rest for about a minute after trying and failing to get the unit started in manual mode.

Yes, there is a model number.

On the data tag, it will be called the Item Number.

I need both the Item number and serial number to be able to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't get either. Not at my cottage and it may be a couple of weeks before I can get back there to get the info you requested. All I can tell you is the unit was purchased in 2006.

That still doesn't help.

I need to know the actual model and serial number so I know which control system it has. They are not all the same.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please close my file.
Thank you

I can't close a question out. You need to close it from your end.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician