Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Snapper 1855 with an Onan B48M-GA018 engine. Last

Customer Question

I have a Snapper 1855 with an Onan B48M-GA018 engine. Last year it started to run rough, but would smooth out and run normally with the choke closed to partially closed. I removed the fuel line after the fuel filter and fuel flowed normally. The fuel line goes into a fuel pump. Unfortunately, I broke the pump taking it off, so last fall I replaced it with a new pump. I installed a carburetor and the fuel line to the carburetor, After heating up the engine and adjusting the carburetor, I put on the snow blower and waited for winter. In the winter, it started fine, ran for a while, then started to run rough and die out but not stop. Even backfired at times. It did this for a while during snow blowing. After it warmed up, the engine seemed to run smoother. Choke position did not seem to affect the rough running. This spring, I removed the snow blower and reset the carburetor. It starts good, but after running a while the engine almost dies out, recovers, and almost dies out again. It runs in this condition so I can complete my tasks. No backfiring. This engine is acting just like my garden tractor's Briggs and Stratton engine. It would start, run fine for days, or hours, then start to run rough, and often die. The problem was the new points (Chinese). Part of the assembly next to the points was riveted to the assembly allowing it to rotate. When it rotated down, it shorted out the engine. Made sure it did not rotate and the engine has run fine since.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Does this look like your ignition? Points and condenser, with coil?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

When engine does not start.do you have spark to the plugs? No spark would make me think your coil is bad.