Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Got lawn mower problem, but 't have any money to pay you, i…

Customer Question
Got lawn mower problem...

Got lawn mower problem, but don't have any money to pay you

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I tried to start it and got backlash, i replaced the flywheel key and it won't start. i can't tell if it's getting spark. when i removed the flywheel to put in the new key i removed the spark module and may not have got it back in adjustment

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?

At least it sparked enough before i replaced the key to jerk the rope out of my hand

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Would you please send me a refund. I'm getting jacked around about changing my password. When i pull up the email i was sent to replace password ***** get an ad wanting me to agree to $18 a month for 5 questions
3/5/2016
Technician: Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor replied 2 years ago
Eddie
Eddie, Home Improvement Contractor

Hi ........I am not a small engine expert but after this bit of advice that I do know about I will opt out and let another of my colleagues offer some other solutions

To see if you are getting a spark you would put a screwdriver through the top sparkplug contact and place it down the housing and hold with your foot and pull the start cord and see if indeed there is a spark

Thanks

eddie

you don't have to accept that .........and if you get in contact with costumer service they can send you a refund if you did get charged something ........but they would be better able to help you .......I have no control over any charges

Problem is that i can't hold the screwdriver and pull the rope at the same time. I was supposed to be put in contact with a small engine mechanic

you would hold it in place with your foot..........I just wanted to offer what I knew from experience I am going to opt out there is no reason to click any kind of rating as I was just trying to help you somehow........good luck

Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** am a small engine tech. I will be happy to assist you.

You stated that you replaced your flywheel key. Was your original flywheel key sheared?

Due to the fact that you cannot hold your screwdriver, and pull your rope at the same time, I know of another way for you to check for spark.

Re-insert your spark plug, and put your spark plug wire back onto your spark plug. Spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, or starting fluid directly into your carburetor, then pull your rope. If your engine attempts to start, then your spark plug is getting spark.

Let me know, and you and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Tried that first. Yes the key sheared and i replaced it. Before i replaced it i would pull the starter rope get a puff of white smoke and the rope would jerk out of my hand with a great deal of force. I removed the top covers and pulled the flywheel and removed the magneto module. Installed a new key and put everything back together. Tried to start and got bupkis

Thanks for your response. Did you re-set the gap between your flywheel magnets, and your magneto module? If not, you will need to set gap at .010", using a feeler gauge. You can also use a business card to set your gap. The thickness of a business card is close enough to work just fine for you.

Also make sure your flywheel nut/bolt is tight enough, or your flywheel key will shear again. Did you initially hit a solid object, that sheared your original key?

I dont know what sheared it the first time. I used an impact wrench to take it off and put it back on. When i get home I'll check the gap.

Very good! Please let me know what you find. Thanks!

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician