Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a 5 hp 4 cycle briggs and Stratton outboard idels and…

Customer Question
Have a 5 hp...

Have a 5 hp 4 cycle briggs and Stratton outboard idels and starts fine goes good to a certain speed then it surges cant figure it out please help

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

New carb on it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/28/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the carburetor jet is partially blocked which is not allowing enough fuel to pass through it when trying to run a full throttle. I would look at the carburetor jets. This engine may have a diaphragm style carburetor if it does the diaphragm may be bad and not pumping enough fuel to keep the engine running properly at high speed.

Can you tell me the model number of the engine that is on the outboard? I can better assist you with that information.

The carb is new just put it in if I unplug the rev limiter it runs good
12y6020110 EI

So it is not a surge then it is a miss fire that is created by the rev limiter. Does this happen when the engine is in the water and operating or only when out of the water. The rev limiter is designed to keep the engine from over speeding, if the engine has no load or not in the water then it could hit the rev limiter and cause the ignition to miss fire.

Haven't had it in the water because of it being 4 cycle like I said as soon as I unplug the rev limiter it runs good the plug for this has one plug with like 4 connections in it correct?

If it runs good when in the water then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it still cuts out or misses when in the water then I would be looking at the rev limiter as being an issue especially since you say that it runs okay with the limiter unplugged.

You are most likely hitting the rev limiter and activating it if the unit is not in the water.

What does the plug look like for the rev limiter and are you saying being out of the water could be causing it

Yes, if you have the unit out of the water the engine will hit the rev limiter at roughly about half throttle and start missing out. It will operate properly once you have it in the water.

Did you know what the rev limiter plug looks like

It will be a small connector with three or four wires in it. When you unplug it you basically just disabled the rev limiter which will allow the engine run properly out of the water however it could allow the engine to over speed and throw the rod and cause major damage to the engine. You have to be very careful running the engine without the rev limiter connected or in the water.

I think that you will find that once you put this unit in the water your running issue will fix itself.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Thank you do you think I should buy a rev limiter or just wait to see

Since you have not had it in the water I would suggest that you wait until you put it in the water and see how it performs then. The rev limiter is pretty expensive from what I see it can be around $65.00 for it, not a cheap part to have just in case.