JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have a 5 hp 4 cycle briggs and Stratton outboard idels and

Customer Question

have a 5 hp 4 cycle briggs and Stratton outboard idels and starts fine goes good to a certain speed then it surges cant figure it out please help
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: new carb on it
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the carburetor jet is partially blocked which is not allowing enough fuel to pass through it when trying to run a full throttle. I would look at the carburetor jets. This engine may have a diaphragm style carburetor if it does the diaphragm may be bad and not pumping enough fuel to keep the engine running properly at high speed.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the model number of the engine that is on the outboard? I can better assist you with that information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The carb is new just put it in if I unplug the rev limiter it runs good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12y6020110 EI
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

So it is not a surge then it is a miss fire that is created by the rev limiter. Does this happen when the engine is in the water and operating or only when out of the water. The rev limiter is designed to keep the engine from over speeding, if the engine has no load or not in the water then it could hit the rev limiter and cause the ignition to miss fire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't had it in the water because of it being 4 cycle like I said as soon as I unplug the rev limiter it runs good the plug for this has one plug with like 4 connections in it correct?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If it runs good when in the water then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it still cuts out or misses when in the water then I would be looking at the rev limiter as being an issue especially since you say that it runs okay with the limiter unplugged.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

You are most likely hitting the rev limiter and activating it if the unit is not in the water.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does the plug look like for the rev limiter and are you saying being out of the water could be causing it
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, if you have the unit out of the water the engine will hit the rev limiter at roughly about half throttle and start missing out. It will operate properly once you have it in the water.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you know what the rev limiter plug looks like
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

It will be a small connector with three or four wires in it. When you unplug it you basically just disabled the rev limiter which will allow the engine run properly out of the water however it could allow the engine to over speed and throw the rod and cause major damage to the engine. You have to be very careful running the engine without the rev limiter connected or in the water.

Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

I think that you will find that once you put this unit in the water your running issue will fix itself.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you do you think I should buy a rev limiter or just wait to see
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Since you have not had it in the water I would suggest that you wait until you put it in the water and see how it performs then. The rev limiter is pretty expensive from what I see it can be around $65.00 for it, not a cheap part to have just in case.