Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a briggs and stratton 4.0 Quatro mower and it is

Customer Question
rough running and using alot...
I have a briggs and stratton 4.0 Quatro mower and it is rough running and using alot of fuel and blowing black smoke
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/28/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. This is an indication that your engine is running rich. Have you checked your air filter?

cleaned it throughly

Does your carburetor have a choke?

no

Can you get the model and type numbers from your engine for me? I would like to pull up a diagram.

I would like to pull up a diagram that includes your carburetor. Did this problem occur suddenly, or gradually, over a period of time?

Can't find numbers sorry and happened gradually

Are you familiar with cleaning carburetors?

Not really but it can't be to hard

The reason I asked, is because your carburetor is likely flooding due to a partially sticking float, a leaking float, debris between your needle and seat, or sediments in the bottom of your float bowl. You will need to remove the bowl from your carburetor, in order to check for these possible faults.

Have you replaced, or checked your spark plug recently?

Was your air filter very dirty, before you cleaned it?

Filter wasn't to dirty and have replaced the plug and I will try the carburetor clean and see how that goes

Very good! Please let me know what your results are. Thanks!