Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 55221 14 kw generac that is hard to start in

Customer Question
cod weather. it has a...
i have a 55221 14 kw generac that is hard to start in cod weather. it has a battery warmer and a crank case heater. lp gas 75 feet away
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
2/27/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of the genset?

Ok, you didn't specify how cold "cold" was. LP is not the most efficient of fuels, and is a very temperature dependent fuel.

The colder it is, the less reliable LP is.

Another factor is using too small of a tank, and/or the tank being too empty.

Assuming the temps you are describing are not below about 20 degrees, you have a minimum of a 250 gallon tank, and it is at least 1/4 full, then the problem is likely in the genset itself.

Are the block and battery warmers actually working?

When was the last time this unit had a good tune up?

Is the choke working properly? To check, remove the air filter cover, and set the switch to MANUAL. The choke should close for 2 seconds, open for 2 seconds, close for 2 seconds and so on, until the engine starts.