Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Names matt and working an okd bolens with briggs 14v twin…

Customer Question
Names matt and working...

Names matt and working an okd bolens with briggs 14v twin motor on it hasnt ran in many years so not sure whats up with exactly cant get to turn over atm but the battery is good and im not getting any fuel in the line i just added about 2 gallons to it so any help on where to start is appreciated i have the hood and front grill off to have acces to the carb and such although ive never worked on small motors only cars and trucks and never a carb

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Right now i just wana hear it turn over to see if this motor is any good still

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/25/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Do you have engine cranking over?

No crank at all only ive seen yet with battery is a small green light with a lightning bolt in it

If engine is cranking, do you have spark at the plug wire? Remove spark plug and with the plug grounded to metal, see if you have spark when cranking. If you have spark, put finger over the spark plug hole, and see if you have compression.

Wont turn over at all right now

Positive battery cable goes to stater solenoid, if you jump the two large termials on the solenoid, will engine spin?

Can you turn engine by hand? Not locked up?

Ill try the starter and how would i turn by hand?

Engine have screen on top? Remove the screen ad put socket on the exposed flywheel nut.

Ok gimmie a minute to try that

oK

Motors spinning feely and can feel what should its compression stroke
The starter im only seeing 1 large nut on it from the pos cable and then a ground near the bottom
Tosses the battery charger on the starter and ground and shes turning over so id assume ima need a battery for it

Where does the positve battery cable go to? Should go to starter solenoid/relay. then on to starter ,when solenoid closes.

From what i can off the battery and back behind a closure here where i cant see the end then back out to the starter, when i did power to the starter i can hear it move but not see the flywheel that i turned moving at all

If you put positive battery cable to the staters single post, stater should engage the flywhell and spin engine. If battery voltage is above 12.5 volts. If not, the starter is bad. Or the mating gear on the flywheel is damaged! Can you get the model number from tractor and engine? Engine example will be 345656-023-B1 , not sure about the Bolens number.

I dont have a voktmeter to double check but i have a battery charger on it and thats what i used to spin the starter its running at 12vs on a 6amp charge was enough to spin it

Did engine spin, or just starter. If just starter, remove the starter and see if the gear is good.

Just the starter only, is it easy to remove i have low light conditions here

Engine numbers? Just two bolts and the cable think!

This is old flat head twin?

Older models have two bolt flange, at the top, that holds starter to side of engine. Newer models have two bolts under the flywheel that have to be removed!

From what i can see the numbers are model: 400707 , type 1205 01 , code 88031912After trying it more time i can hear it sounds like that gear is shot tho before it sounded like clucnking around but now you can hear like it isnt even connecting on it
01 is the correct model number. See the starter link, you have the one with bolts under the flywheel. I have used a thin wrench and reached under the flywheel and removed the bolts, by letting the starter down as you turn the bolts.

Here is link to the complete engine.

Ok so remove the 2 bolts underneath it there

Service manual says remove the flywheel to get at the bolts!

Come up with the Bolens tractor number, and I may be able to find a wiring diagram!

Where can i find that number on it?

On hood? Or a plate on the frame?

It may be an MTD model, made for Bolens.

I havent seen anything yet although i did get closer the starter and flywheel was able to pull the gear up to match with the flywheel and wont budge on the starter alone

Battery voltage may not be what it needs to be! Charger may not do it!

Doesnt look like it, were getting jumper cables and gono run the other battery from the other lawn mower and give a shot that way to make sure if that doesnt do it were gono end up junking it or repurposei g it with a another motor later on

OK

Did you find problem?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician