Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

We have a relatively new Onan LP generator, only run total…

Customer Question
Hi. We have a relatively...
Hi. We have a relatively new Onan LP generator, only run for a total of 34 hours. We just took it to an RV service station and had the oil changed. Now the generator does not work. It cranks but either does not come on at all or runs at the most for a few seconds. We checked the oil level and it is OK. Any other ideas?
Our generator is installed into a compartment in a Bigfoot camper so we cannot see the back of it to assess if the propane line was reattached correctly.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/23/2016
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 2 years ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

this sounds like 2 things, low oil pressure

or yes the propane is not turned on, if it is running

only few seconds that is what is happening

Just out of Curiosity, why did you not bring it back , Too Far

I hope this helped you

propane is on and we checked the oil level which is fine.
other thoughts?We are about 100+ miles from where we had the service done. we went there because they said they did Bigfoot maintenance; guess that didnt matter

Hi Sorry fo delay,

had to pick up Grand kids from School

OH , Yes 100 miles too far

how many times did you try to start it

some times the filter and oil system needs to get primed

let me know, please

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

As you are well aware, this unit does not have an oil filter. It is a splash-lube system, and not a pressure-lube, so there is nothing to prime.

What is the serial number of this unit?

How long has it been since it was run regularly?

Hello? I am disappointed in your response. I said at the beginning that we checked the oil level and that the propane was on, so your answer did not give me any more information.
the unit has been run a total of 34 hours. unfortunately, we did not know that we were supposed to "exercise" the generator at least monthly and we have not used it for at least 2-3 months.
the model # ***** ***** AND THE SERIAL # *****

Try this.

Remove the air filter.

While cranking the engine, start spraying in some carb cleaner (do not use starting fluid).

Can you keep the engine running for 15 or 20 seconds on carb cleaner?

Wee you able to keep it running on carb cleaner?

We took the generator to a repair shop so I will hopefully find out what the problem was. in the future, we will run it monthly!

Yes, it is best to exercise them regularly.