Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean…

Customer Question
i have a 18hp briggs...
i have a 18hp briggs. spark plug has fire airfilter is clean and getting fuel but wont start and the starter gets really hot fast. engine is brand new out the box
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/22/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What type of equipment is your engine mounted on?

z225 john deere zero turn mower. the original engine burnt up so i got a new one model #31N707. It has fire, fuel, and air. It pops like it wants to start and occasionaly backfires out of the intake.

Have you checked to see if the fuel solenoid on your carburetor is clicking, after you turn your ignition switch on?

i have and it is functioning properly.

If you have some carburetor cleaning in a can, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up briefly.

Keep in mind that an engine needs three things in order to run. Spark, Fuel, and Compression. You have confirmed spark and fuel.

i pulled the spark plug and sprayed starter fluid directly in the cylinder and all it did was pop when i cranked it. i had to rob the flywheel and all the elect. components (stater, regulator, etc.) i know it has the 3 things it needs to run. its brand new out the box. im a mechanic myself but this one has me stumped
i had to take those parts off of the old engine for this one to have enough "juice" to engage the pto. another thing, it doesnt take long for the starter to get extremely hot and the battery to die
is it possible for something electrical (flywheel, staiter, coil) to be bad or not installed properly and still have spark?

I am back now. I had to reboot my computer.

You stated that your starter gets hot. Does your engine seems to be dragging as it spins?

You also mentioned that your engine pops, and sometimes backfire out of your intake. I would double check your flywheel key, just to be sure, due to the fact that you changed out your flywheel.

what should i look for on the flywheel? im sure the key is there. and yes the motor seems to have some drag like its not turning fast enough to start

I would like to ask you a troubleshooting question.

How did you prevent your flywheel from spinning, as you were tightening the flywheel nut/bolt?

i used a pneumatic impack to tighten it

Thanks for this information. Can you double check to see if your flywheel key is partially sheared.

This will give you and me a good starting point.

the flywheel key is in tact. are you thinking the flywheel is occasionaly "free spinning"?

It appears that your timing could be off. Many times when an engine spins with excessive resistance, the problem is caused by a sheared flywheel key, or your valves being out of adjustment.

Did you change out your flywheel, stator, regulator, etc., to keep your wiring the same?

Ok ...

I would like to make a suggestion to you.

ill take any suggestion at this time haha

Thanks. Use your impact wrench to remove your flywheel nut/bolt, and let's be sure your flywheel key is not partially sheared. If your flywheel key is ok, I would like to have the model and type numbers from your old engine. I would like to compare the two flywheels.

You can also look closely at both flywheels, to see the keyways, and magnets are positioned the same on both.

ill do that to be sure. theres a part # ***** on the inside of the flywheels and there identical.

If both flywheels are identical, we will focus on your flywheel key for now. I will be here to work with you until 10:00 pm central time tonight. There are no additional fees for us to continue.

im shutting it down for the night and will check the flywheels tomorrow when i can get a puller. is there any additional fees if we do this again tomorrow?

There is not a time limit on your question. We can continue tomorrow, and continue until your engine is running, at no additional fees. Take your time. We will figure it out.

thanks. i hope we do before my grass gets too tall haha

You are very welcome! We will get it done in time for you to beautify your lawn.

Wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating ...

i put the new flywheel on and it started first crank. im good to go

Very good! Thank you for letting me know. I am glad you got your engine up and running.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician