Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a TroyBilt Super Tomahawk /shreddder with 5hp

Customer Question
I have a TroyBilt Super...
I have a TroyBilt Super Tomahawk chipper/shreddder with 5hp Tecumseh. I seems like the blade flywheel is out of balance. When I engage the PTO to spin the blades, the whole machine tries to "walk" or "spin about its vertical axis". I have to anchor the machine to the ground in some way to make it not move about. How can I fix this? Is there some direction to balance the blade flywheel?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/22/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you taken a look at the belt that is between the engine and the flywheel assembly. I have seen these belts become damaged and cause a lot of vibration. I would look at it prior to anything else because normally the flywheel doesn't get out of balance unless you jam something in the machine and damage the flywheel. I have seen the belt get damaged just from engaging and disengaging the system. Normally what you will find is side wear on the belt in spots that cause the belt to fall deeper into the pulleys as is goes around them which will cause the vibration.

I just replaced the belt and there was no change in the vibration and movement of the machine. I still think it is some problem with the flywheel (blade cylinder) balance but can find no information about that. Any more help?

If it is not in the belt, which since you replaced it and didn't solve the problem then I would think that the belt would not be an issue the the only other place it could be is in the impeller or flywheel. You could remove the impeller and try to find someone that could spin balance it but it will be hard to find them unless maybe you have a good machine shop nearby that can do it. The other option would be to replace the impeller if you can find a new one since this is an older machine it may be difficult to find a replacement. It is odd however that it would become damaged or out of balance unless something was jammed into it. I have no other suggestions, I will opt out and maybe one of the other experts here will have something to add that will help to solve your issue.

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Check the blades on the drum axle, for missing blades or stuck blade that is not flinging out. Just like a fan blade, when it looses one blade, it shakes the whole engine.

I got this machine last year but didn't use it until this spring. I found it had this problem. I checked on the blades and found that one of the four blade cylinder pins was bent with one of the blades missing. I got a set of blades, removed all the old ones and got the bent cylinder pin straightened at a machine shop. Everything went back together but still has the vibration/walking problem. I got the Technical Manual you sent, Thanks! I will look into pulling the blade cylinder and getting it checked out.

OK,are all the blades free to move, and not stuck? Thanks,

I had to install the blades twice because the first time there was one blade that would not move freely. All are swinging freely now.

Ok, just know that a single blade can cause the vibration!

I will do a thorough check before tearing it apart, but I am pretty sure all the blades are good now. It will probably be at least a week or more before I can do any more work on it. If wanted I can report back after on the results.

OK, Thanks>