Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Have a c30 mayco concrete pump which has a 30hp Wisconsin

Customer Question
engine. getting spark from the...
have a c30 mayco concrete pump which has a 30hp Wisconsin engine. getting spark from the spark plugs. It's like there's no gas getting to the piston heads. The fuel pump has no wires running to it so it must be engine driven. Tried pouring gas down the carburetor and using starter fluid much does not work. Pulled the manifold off just get puffs of smoke coming out of the piston heads. It's like there's no gas getting to the heads. What started the hole thing was there was some dried concrete in the pump line when the boys tried to start it up it started but the drive built from the pump to the motor started smoking so they shut it down and I have not been able to get it started again. Have all new parts, distributor cap, rotor, coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires. Stumped.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's all I know it won't fire up
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
2/21/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Engine model number? If you have spark and fuel in the cylinder and it did not fire, it may be out of time. What does it have for a timing key in flywheel or ???

My response is showing as customer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't know that there is fuel getting to the piston heads. trying to figure out how the fuel get from the fuel pump to the cylinder heads. the only line running out of the fuel pump is to the carburetor and nothing out of the carburetor.

The cylinders suck the fuel from the carburetor. What is model number of engine? Only reason fuel would not be sucked in, if there is no intake vacuum. If you hold hand over carburetor do you feel it sucking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I do not

Is this twin engine? If you remove spark plugs, do you have compression?

If it has compression, remove rocker covers and check the valves.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 cylinder
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have compression

Check the valves

You can have compression, and the intake valves are not opening, so the fuel is not sucked into the cylinders.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since I took the manifold off I get puffs of smoke out of each one of the cylinder head opening.

You say you don't feel suction at carburetor, so intake valves may not be opening

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where are the intake values. do I have to pull the heads to get to them.

You still haven't given me a model number. Did you see the link I sent on the Wisconsin models? There will be a valve cover somewhere, that will let you look at the valves.

The crankcase vent should lead to it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The engine is so old and has been repainted so many times I cant find a model number on it. The only thing I know is it's a 30hp Wisconsin some where around a 1992

This VH4G, see page 27 , showing valve covers. But sheet metal has to be removed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
looking down inside the carburetor through the butter fly valve look like a copper stem that comes out. I see no gas being let out of it when trying to start it.

If y don't have intake suction,there will be no fuel from carburetor!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's doesn't smell flooded for as many times as I have tried to start it. Could the carburetor need to be cleaned?

You said it did not fire on starting fluid, there is something else wrong!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If your saying the gas is sucked out of the carburetor in to the piston heads and I have the manifold removed so there's just a hole opening above the piston heads then the starter fluid sprayed into the carburetor would do no good.

Will it fire if you spray starting fluid into cylinders?

If you look into the intake holes. do you see valve movement?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it won't fire if I spray starting fluid into each one of the holes. just puffs of smoke.

Look in the intake to see if you see the valve or stems, and see if they are moving.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
couldn't see that far down inside but put my finger down inside and felt them moving.

It takes fuel, spark, and air , at the proper time for engine to run. Seems like spark , compression, and air are good! And will not fire on starting fluid, so its timing or valves in my miand. Did you look at the VH4g manual link I sent? Does it look like right engine?

I need t be out for an hour. Will check back later.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not exactly close. I probably need to take it to a small engine repair shop. Thanks for your valuable help but I think it's a little above me

Here is newer model. Please rate to close the question.

Please accept to close, or I don't get credit.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician