Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My name is ***** *****. I have a Husqvarna z4218 that won't…

Customer Question
Hi my name is...

Hi my name is ***** *****. I have a Husqvarna z4218 that won't start. I have a new battery, solenoid and ignition switch. Cables look good and are tight. I have power at the solenoid small red wire and yellow. Fuses are good. The relay's seem to be working because I can feel the click when I turn the key.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It used to run perfect one day it just stumbled and shut off. I tried to start it and it would turn over but not fire. I put all new fuel lines on with a new fuel pump and carburetor and at that time it would not turn over every time you would turn the key. So that's when I started putting more parts on it like the solenoid and key switch. I have a test light and it is getting power to everything but it just won't turn over. I jumped the solenoid and the starter spins. This thing is driving me crazy.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/18/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Are you getting voltage to the small spade terminal on the side of the solenoid when the ignition key is turned to the start position? Do you hear any other noises when you try to start the machine?

I have power at the spade. I hear a click from the top of the motor not at the solenoid.

Are you getting voltage to the post on the starter itself?

Can you turn the engine over manually by hand?

I am getting power on the post and I can turn by hand.

Since you are getting voltage to the starter from what you are telling me then we can eliminate the rest of the switches and wiring. You have also ruled out the chance that the starter was locked into the flywheel and that the engine as locked up since you can turn it manually by hand. It either has to be a bad ground(engine to frame) or the starter is bad. I would make certain that all engine mount bolts are tight and the starter to engine bolts are tight. If that all looks good then I would proceed to starter replacement.

Okay, I will check all that out tomorrow and I will let you know what I come up with.

That will be fine, you can come back here and continue our conversation at any time.

Hi John, I checked the ground engine to frame it was clean and tight. I checked the starter to see it was tight and it was. Last I checked the starter but jumping the two solenoid posts and it turned over every time. I did it several times so I decided to run a new ground wire off the solenoid to the frame and that was it. It starts every time you turn the key now. I didn't think it was the starter because the guy that I bought it off of just replaced it and he said it was not cheap! I am glad to have it running again. Thank you sir for your suggestions.

It was a grounding problem then just not with the engine or the starter, it ended up being the solenoid but I thought you told me that you were getting voltage to the starter so that is what threw me off. Normally if the solenoid isn't grounded you don't get voltage to the starter. Anyway, I am glad that you have found and solved your problem. It has been a pleasure to assist you. Have a great weekend!!!!!

Please take a moment to rate your experience.