Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My cub cadet lax 1050 has problems cranking. It

Customer Question
Hi, my cub cadet lax...
Hi, my cub cadet lax 1050 has problems cranking. It intermittently starts but takes several turns of the key for this to happen. I have checked the solenoid and it seems to be activating. I have also pulled the starter motor apart and besides some rusty spots, which I cleaned there does not appear to be anything wrong with it either. Any suggestions? Thanks Brian
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/17/2016
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . It sounds like the ignition could be the issue . When you turn the key does it click when the motor doesn't turn over ?

I can hear the solinoid click in but the starter motor does not engage

If you can hear it click everytime it's not the ignition , could be the solenoid being the starter isn't slipping or grinding right ?

I have checked the solinoid by removing it and hooking directly to the battery, engaged every time.

Ok have you removed the spark plugs and see if it will turn over every time ? , if so it could be a compression build up in the engine. Have you done a compression reading on the engine ?

I don't think it is compression, the starter motor simply does not engage every time but when it does it starts the motor quite easily

If the starter and solenoid are both working when you tested them then the next thing to suspect besides compression is the ignition switch itself

Ok, how do I check that?

Do you have a multimeter ? , if so you can test the ohms in it

I have a multi meter what am I checking

This video will give you a basic idea

http://youtu.be/q8G7kxCl9hY

You have to remove the switch and look at the letter of each terminal.and then check the ohms when turning the key , etc , this should show if the switch is sending signal every time the key is turned

When you turn the key do you get lights every time ?

I'm on eastern time so if I don't respond back right away it's because it's 12:00 midnight here but I will check to see if you replied first thing in the morning

Hi just wondering if you were able to test the switch ?

Hope the pictures tell you a little more, brian

Ok I can look into it further but if the starter works every time and the solenoid has been tested it seems like the switch could be not engaging every time the key is turned

Having trouble sending, will try again
It does seem odd that power is going through the switch to the starter but it is not activating. Is there a safety switch that is preventing it engaging brian

It could be you have safety switches in the seat , brake clutch pedal etc

How do I test for that

http://youtu.be/Xi3p465MN1E

This video will show you how to test switches with a multimeter

Thanks, ***** ***** a few days testing as I am busy. Get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks brian

Ok brian sounds good

I have checked the brake/ clutch safety switch and it follows the pattern shown in the video however the seat safety switch has four poles in line and if I connect the two outer poles and then the two inner ones I get a different result. Both sets of terminals show continuity when the switch is open and nothing when engaged. Brian

As in when it's pushed in as in seats on it ?

when sitting on it there is no continuity between any of the pole, brian

So it sounds like the switch isn't allowing spark

If it was the spark I was worried about, yes, but the starter motor does not spin! Brian

What I meant was the switch isn't allowing current so it's not going to put power to the starter . The only time you should be able to fire the tractor up when your not on it is when the parking brake is locked . So if the switch is bad even when you are sitting on it ( button of switch pressed in ) the circuit still thinks it's closed so the starter is getting no juice

So it sounds like the switch could be a issue , have you locked the parking brake and tries to see if it will crank ?

How can I short circuit the switch until I can get a new one, brian

Have you tried locking the e brake

I assume you mean the foot brake, it has to be locked for the mower to start, so yes it is locked
I eventually called a local and he said 9 times out of 10 it is the clutch switch and it was. Perhaps next time I won't waste time and money on this system. Brian

You can test the clutch switch .