Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

ONAN 4KYFA26100K MODEL. Replaced starter, new battery (13.5v…

Customer Question
ONAN 4KYFA26100K MODEL....

ONAN 4KYFA26100K MODEL. Replaced starter, new battery (13.5v at solenoid), cleaned grounding cable at unit and frame, had generator running fine. after about a month, approximately 6 starts, a problem has returned. When we hit the start button the solenoid makes a loud buzzing noise and unit will not crank. If I hotwire the starter wire side of solenoid the engine turns over fine but will not start. Used a standard solenoid from NAPA to replace old one and it seemed to be working fine until now. Question: Is the solenoid for this unit something that must be replaced with a like kind? if so what kind is that? any other ideas about what might be the problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

What do you want to know

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/17/2016
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 2 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

The buzzing noise you hear is due to low battery voltage getting to the solenoid.

You stated that you have 13.5VDC at the battery. That tells me that you have your coach plugged in, and are reading converter voltage.

If you have a master battery switch, it must be turned on for the genset to start.

If you do not have a battery switch, or it is already on, you likely have a bad battery. Take it in and have it load tested. Do not rely on a voltmeter or battery charger to tell you if the batter is good or not. Even a bad battery can read fully charged with 12V, but not have enough ampacity to do any work.