Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Pto does not engage
, when engaging the lever the belt…

Customer Question
Pto does not engage...

Pto does not engage

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

When engaging the lever the belt does not tighten

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/16/2016
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. What is the make and model numbers for your mower?

MTD made Huskee LT4200 Model series 760-770
Engaging the PTO lever for mowing tightens the spring but does not tighten belt at all
It does not engage and therefore does not mow.Removed the deck and everything appears OK
May have to remove the top cover under the seat. Is that possible and how?
Can this be a safety sensor?Awaiting your response,
Thanks,Frank

Frank, thanks for your reply. You stated that your spring tightens as you are moving your pto lever, but your belt remains loose. Check the idler arm that your idler pulley mounts to. Let's make sure that your idler arm is not seizing. It needs to pivot freely back and forth, by hand. Your idler pulley tightens your belt.

The dummy that replaced the blades last fall (me) connected the PTO spring to the wrong side of the swiveling point,
Instead it kept the brake on the pulleys.
Works fine now!
Thanks Donald.

You are very welcome! Please don't consider yourself to be a dummy. Instead, consider your work a learning experience. I do hope all continues to go well for you.