Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Honda Gx390 engine on a pressure washer that cuts…

Customer Question
I have a Honda...

I have a Honda Gx390 engine on a pressure washer that cuts out at high speed but runs fine at low speed. I have replaced the coil , carb, plug, oil, and air filter. Cleaned the fuel tank and installed fresh fuel. Adjusted the valves to specs. I don't know what else to do to correct the high speed issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?

No i think that I covered all of it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/15/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What is full engine model number? Honda usually puts in low oil level sensor or oil pressure sensor. Is oil level full and not thinned from gas contamination? Locate the oil sender and bypass it. Then run test.

I also disconnected the low oil switch. No change.

Will it die if you keep it at full throttle?

Honda GX390 QAPW GCBDT-1094835

Does it have a sediment trap/filter? Have you bypassed it?

At full throttle it runs and will not die but will miss and cut out. when I back off to half speed its fine. I checked the fuel system and filter and its fine. I also applied the choke to see if it would improve but did not.

Did you remove the fitting from the fuel tank with the screen on it and check the screen?

fuel system is all new. New carb,fuel lines and tank filter.

Have you tried a raised fuel tank for test? Sounds like just a lack of fuel.

I disconnected the fuel line to the carb to check the flow and it was very good no problem.

OK,let me opt out, maybe someone else can help.Sorry.

Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer . This may seem like a odd question but since you have covered most bases have you checked the timing key that holds the flywheel in place ?

No not yet due to I have never had that happen. I will check. That is probably the only thing that I did not check. Will let you know.

Looking at everything you covered it is one of the few culprits that could cause the problems you are having , the other thought would be if your engine had a fuel pump

No fuel pump. Fuel tank on top of engine.Honda GX390 13hp without Elec start. Xstream pressure washer 4000 3.5 model.

Ok , let's see if the key is sheared ,

The key is not sheared. All ok. ???

Ok , your pump is a direct drive as in bolts directly to the engine right ?

Belt drive.

It's doing this with the belt disconnected from the pump right ?

No. It is in normal operating condition with the belt connected. It starts fine and runs fine until you go to full throttle. It will start cutting out or missing at about 50% throttle. Changed the carb, coil, spark plug, fuel line and tank filter, fresh gas and flywheel key. Changed all of the gaskets with the carb and intake. Adjusted valves and disconnected the low oil switch. After all of that it still runs the same way. ????

Ok , have you tried the motor with the air filter off ? . I'm trying to think of anything you haven't already checked , another concern is the cam. I was asking if you tried the motor with the belt off to eliminate the pump being the culprit

I did run the engine without the belts and air filter and it runs the same.

Ok that would eliminate any air restrictions or the belt or pump being the issue . It's hard to say it's the carburetor because it's done this with 2 different carburetors right ? . It could be the cam itself in the motor

I am done.

The only probable cause that we haven't checked is the cam , how much wear does the engine have on it ?