JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My Honda 6.0 engine will start only when gas is poured into

Customer Question

My Honda 6.0 engine will start only when gas is poured into the carb. Will not pick up gas to continue running. Does this model have a fuel pump?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

If it is a horizontal shaft engine as I suspect since it sounds like it is mounted on a power washer then yes it does have a fuel pump that is mounted behind the fuel tank normally. If it is not there then it will be mounted onto the air filter base assembly on the carburetor side of the engine. It sounds like the carburetor jets may be stopped up though since you can pour fuel into the carburetor throat and it will start and run until it burns that out. I would suspect carburetor blockage rather than fuel pump issue at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will attempt to clean the jets. Any way to do this without removing the carb?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, on this engine no. The way that everything is mounted you can't get to the jets easily without removing the carburetor. I wish there were however because it would save a lot of time.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.