Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

21 inch craftsman snow blower about 2 or 3 years old. New

Customer Question

21 inch craftsman snow blower about 2 or 3 years old. New fuel but it won't start this year. It will not turn over - whether using the recoil or the electric start. Removed and cleaned the spark, which looks to be in ok shape. Other than replacing the plug itsel, any other thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Put a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will start for a few seconds.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

If it does, the spark is good, and the fuel is not getting to the cylinder. The carburetor is not passing fuel. Remove the float bowl on the carburetor and see if fuel is flowing to the bowl from the tank,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Progress. Injected the tsp of fuel and it started but shut off after I went from choke to run. I'll dig into the carburetor next...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started to remove the float bowl mounting bolt at the bottom of the float bowl and fuel started to come out from the bottom of the bowl. That in and of itself would mean fuel is getting from the tank to the float bowl, no?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Footnote- like an idiot, I ran the engine out last April to use up all the remaining the gas from the snowblower before I put it away for the summer/fall. So that may be relevant to my current problem. This is the first time I've tried to use the snowblower since...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The fuel may not be going through the main jet, which is the bowl bolt and the passage up the middle , the bowl bolt goes into. Lots of small holes at need t e open. Also the needle valve, if all metal , will have an upper rubber seat that can swell and not let enough fuel into the bowl. Common caused by ethanol in the fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, got the bowl off, and found lots of s***** *****ke material in with the gas, cleaned all that out including the float. Reassembled and it started up good. But now even after warming up for a minute, when I go from choke the run, it struggles and almost revs. If I slide the choke back toward choke but not all the way, that helps it run more steady. Any other thoughts? Thanks for all your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
^choke TO run,...
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I doubt you got all the dirt out of the main jet and the bowl bolt. Both have tiny holes in them that need to be perfectly clean and open. I would remove the bowl again, and check the holes in the bowl bolt, use a bread tie wire to clean the holes. and use spray carburetor cleaner up the main jet, the center post of the carburetor. Your almost there, still starving for fuel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disassembled the bowl again, took out the float and carburetor cleaner-sprayed the heck out of the jet and everything else I could get to in the carb. I even disconnected the fuel line to the carb to spray out everything I could. Then I drained the gas and put in fresh gas, and I've got the same problem. Starts good but struggles when I move from choke to run. Anything else you think I can do to help with the fuel flow?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The engine is not getting enough fuel. that is why adding choke helps keep it running. Is the needle valve an all metal needle or does it have a neoprene tip? If all metal, it has a rubber seat in the upper needle passage. This rubber seat can swell and not let enough fuel flow to the bowl. Repair would be to replace the needle and seat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's all metal I believe. I'll have to look into ordering a new needle and seat. Thanks again for your advice
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The all metal tip has the upper seat, which the ethanol from the fuel affects, and it swells and plugs the fuel passage. It can completely close it, or just restrict it.