Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

, i just got an old toro 8-32. it was working great

Customer Question
hi JA: Thanks. Can you...
hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i just got an old toro 8-32. it was working great when i went to check it out. i just started to cut the grass and all of the sudden it stopped moving. its like it won't go i was cutting in 4th gear and then it just stopped. it turns on just fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
2/12/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 1 year ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Have you checked the transmission drive belt? There is also a clutching mechanism on the top of the transmission that has a pad on it, it is possible that this pad may be worn out or broken which would cause the machine to not pull itself as well. If you can provide the model and serial number from the tag under the hood I can send you a diagram of what it looks like.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
model is 56145

There is also a chain that runs from the side of the transmission down to the differential that may have come off or broken. You may also check to make sure that the bolts are still in place that lock the rear wheels onto the axle. If either one of them were to break or come out the machine would not pull itself or mover. Did you hear anything just prior to it stopping?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just saw it! its the belt that snapped!
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do u have a diagram on replacing the belt

Alright. All you will need is a new belt and you should be back in business.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do u have a diagram on replacing it?

I am working on getting a diagram of the drive belt. Do you know what the serial number on the machine happens to be?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
serial#(###) ###-####model 56145

It is Toro part number 47-1410 or Stens aftermarket part number 248-048. This belt will be 1/2" wide X 48" long.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since I'm replacing the drive belt, is there anther belt that i should just replace?

You also have a belt that runs the mower deck that could be replaced as well. It is Toro part number 47-1420 or Stens aftermarket part number 248-066 which is 1/2" wide X 66" long.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
where can i buy this at?

A popular parts website is www.jackssmallengines.com if you want to purchase online. You can also purchase the belts at just about any automotive parts store or farm store. You can also purchase through any of your local small engine or lawn equipment repair shops in your area.

Is there anything else that I can help you with? If not I Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thats all thanks. trying to look now on how to replace it.

I am including a copy of the owners manual that gives you instructions on page 21 of how to replace the transmission drive belt. I hope that this helps.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician