Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How do I remove the platen from theorbital polisher? I want…

Customer Question
How do I remove the...
How do I remove the platen from the###-##-####orbital polisher? I want to replace it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/11/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Platen is held on with a single bolt and washer, in the center of the wheel. Dig out the center, find the RH bolt and remove it. The platen should then pull off, it does have an upper bearing that goes on the motor shaft, so it may be difficult to slip it off.

Thank you
That was obvious
The problem is that the platen or underpan spins when I try to remove the bolt that holds it in place. There are two notches on either side of the base that appear to be for some sort of tool that attaches to the flanges of the base. How do I get this tool?

No nothing about a tool. You can't hold the platen, or is the armature shaft turning with the screw? If platen is turning, use a vice grip pliers to hold it by the edge. If the armature is turning, then armature will have to be held, which will require removing and splitting the handle assembly. An impact wrench, air or electric can be used to get the screw/bolt out ,and platen will not turn.

Site not updating!