Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Craftsman rider tractor. Its 26hp. I'm currently

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman rider tractor. Its 26hp. I'm currently using it with the snowblower attachment. The problem is this: after about a half hour of using it, the engine bogs down and only runs on one cylinder and it's the same cylinder each time. I've replaced both ignition coils, both spark plugs, and the ignition. I'm soooo frustrated I hope someone can help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist. Have you checked to see if you are getting spark to the spark plug on the faulty cylinder, immediately after it fails?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I need to determine if our problem is ignition related, or if our problem is compression related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No spark! It runs AWESOME until one cylinder (same one) cuts out
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Is your engine a Briggs & Stratton brand?

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Disconnect the small black kill wire from the ignition coil on the faulty side. Let's see if this your ignition coil will resume firing, after you remove your kill wire.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If so, then you may have a faulty diode in your wiring connector. If not, then your ignition coil could be at fault, although it has been replaced.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so the black wire on the ignition coil--that is the kill wire?
Could you show me a picture of what the diode looks like?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the small black wire, is your kill wire. Have disconnected it yet, to see if your faulty cylinder will perform satisfactorily?