Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Husqvarna Z4217 Zero turn. When I start the mower…

Customer Question
I have a Husqvarna...

I have a Husqvarna Z4217 Zero turn. When I start the mower it immediately proceed to go backwards when it is taken out of park. Mind you this is before I even touch the control levels which is in the neutral position.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?

Not to my knowledge.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/3/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is it only on one side or both sides? You can adjust the drive control linkages so that you get a true neutral and the machine doesn't move when in neutral and the brake is released. If you can provide the model and serial number from the tag on the frame of the machine I will see if I can get you a set of directions on how to make those adjustments.

It goes straight back.
MN###-##-####SR###-##-####
I guess both sides are pulling.

I'm afraid that the manual won't help you in this case. Their solution for the problem is to increase the air pressure in the tires which isn't going to help this issue.

Take a look at the linkages going from the control levers back to the transmissions, you should find an adjustable linkage that can be screw in or out. Start by turning it one direction or the other to make the adjustment, you don't need to turn it very much maybe 1 turn and see what happens. If it makes it worse then you know that you have turned it the wrong direction and will need to go the other way. If it gets better but doesn't completely stop it then you just need to continue to turn it in the same direction a little at a time until you get it to where it will sit still when the brake is released.