JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Have poulan pro snowthrower. Managed to get a cold start.

Customer Question

Have poulan pro snowthrower. Managed to get a cold start. Forgot to move out of choke position and warm up engine. Webt straight into drift and tgere was a little smoke when it first started--first use of year and I had spilled a little gas -no bad smell. It struggled to get through drift and died. Won start now. Did I kikl my snowthrower? My husband died over the summer and I don't know what I am doing.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

You probably just flooded it if you left the choke on for very long. That would explain the smoke and it dying. I would let it sit for a little bit and then try to restart it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have. How long should it sit? When I try to start it again should I use the choke and prime it again?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

If you let it sit for an hour it should air itself out if it was flooded. When trying to restart it I would not prime or choke it at all when you first try to restart it it you do it may only make the problem worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok-I will wait longer with choke off. We will see how it goes. THANK YOU.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you need additional assistance with this problem.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It still didnt start. My brother told me to check fuel valve switch. Somehow it was closed. When I moved it down it started right up.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 year ago.

That would definitely cause it to not start. As long as everything is working now you should be okay.