Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Just swap a 20 hp 461707 engine into a newer craftmans mower…

Customer Question
Just swap a 20...

Just swap a 20 hp 461707 engine into a newer craftmans mower that has a 6 pin harness. is there a way to utilize that harness?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a yt3000 with b&s intek engine that has a 6 pin connector. Have an older B&s motor 461707 its a 20 hp twin I/C . It has 3 wires that I want to connect to the 6 pin

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
2/2/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Here is link to Briggs electrical systems. Look at page 36 and on for the six pin connection.

The motor that I went bad and replaced is(###) ###-####g5. It is a single cylinder. It does have the carb solenoid. The engine 461707 does not have a connection to the bottom of the carb solenoid. Can I just leave that ? what about the ground wire? I am assuming that the ground wire would be needed for the kill switch?

To use unit less the carb solenoid , you will need to remove the solenoid and use a bowl bolt to replace, or remove the inner pin, that shuts off the fuel. Just not connecting it, will keep it closed and engine will not start. And kill wire does have to be grounded to kill the engine spark.

I think you have my situation backwards.
The motor that blew is the newer engine that has the 6 pin wiring. I put an older engine that I have in its place. the older engine only have 3 wires. The stator wire and I am assuming the one right next to it is for the light. The third wire is the kill wire.
I want to wire this to the existing six pin. I see where the stator and head light wire goes. Not sure where I would connect the ground to the 6 pin plug. Is it possible to wire it to the 6 pin plug?Thanks

you are replacing a single OHV engine with the older opposed twin! Take meter to ignition switch and see what wire is grounded when key is turned off, and is open when key is on, then follow it to the connection and use it for the kill wire.

Thank you! Please rate and accept to close.

If you don't mind I would like to keep this open until I give it a shot tomorrow

Sure, no problem.

Does the mower have an electric clutch? I have an old twin engine and looks like I could use it for same type conversion. Never had them together, to see if the clutch would fit!