Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I just received a snowblower that was in a shed years I put…

Customer Question
I just received a...
I just received a snowblower that was in a shed for two years I put gas in it and try to
Toronto start it but won't start?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/27/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

What happens if you spray a little carburetor cleaner of fuel directly into the throat of the carburetor? Does it fire or act like it wants to start?

I don't have cleaner at this time should I
Go and get some and where is the carburetor?

Normally the carburetor is covered with a heat shield on the left side of the engine if standing behind the machine. You could also do the same thing by removing the spark plug and put a little directly into the cylinder if it is easier to get too. You can do the same thing with a little bit of fuel if you don't have carburetor cleaner. My thought is that the carburetor jets are probably stopped up from having sit that long and you will most likely end up needing to remove the carburetor and thoroughly clean it.

Ok I will need some time to try your advise
and will let you know asap!

Take your time I will be here until around 8:00 PM this evening Eastern time. Let me know what you find and we can continue from there.

Ok thanks should I replace the spark plug
also?

I really doubt that the plug will be an issue but you can replace it for peace of mind if you want.

Ok thanks!

Let me know what you find out.

It has gotten late for me can we finish
In the morning?and I still have to get tools.

Yes, you are fine. When you are ready just come back and we can continue our conversation.

Ok thanks

I normally log into the site around 8:00 AM in the mornings and will be available until about 6:00 PM Eastern time.