Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Troy Bilt snow blower that I cannot get started. It…

Customer Question
I have a Troy Bilt...
I have a Troy Bilt snow blower that I cannot get started. It is one year old. However, it was started once after purchase but never used.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/27/2016
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Can you remove the spark plug? Remove it, put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will start for a few seconds. If it does, carburetor is not getting fuel to the engine

will have to wait until tomorrow after work to try this

Ok, thanks.

Just tried it and the snow blower did start, briefly. If I understand correctly, this shows that fuel is not getting into the cumbustion chamber. So, how do we fix that?

Have to get to the carburetor, and check the fuel line to the carburetor for flow. If it has fuel to the carburetor, then the carburetor float bowl needs to be removed and the float and needle valve checked for flow from the tank. Bowl may be full if water or debris.

the bowl has been removed twice. no water or debris. probsbly out of my depth to check the float and check valve. sounds like we need to contact a. small engine mechanic.

Either that or replace the carburetor! Sorry.