Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

, I have a Lawn Boy 320 E snow thrower which was

Customer Question

Customer: hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a Lawn Boy 320 E snow thrower which was operating fine today. As I was operating it, I notice the key and ignition switch were suddenly missinf and an open hole was in the control panel where the iginiton switich had been
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok take me to page to pay 18 dollars but plesasde make sure i get to speak with an expert who can answer my question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how we doing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this cant be a difficult question, "how to open up chassis" is anyone really looking at this question?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The top cover has to be removed to access the area below the panel. Let me look for owners manual.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

on the lawnboy site, it does not recognize 320E.??

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

So I can't find owners manual!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Lawn Boy 320 E snow thrower which was operating fine today. As I was operating it, I notice the key and ignition switch were suddenly missing and an open hole was in the control panel where the ignition switch is . model is 28222. I have pdf of operating manual. I need someone to tell me how to open chassis so I can see if ignition switch and key are hanging there . This web site is malfunctioning. I have put in deposit three times without a response. If possible please call me at(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much extra for a phone call?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have manual an so does lawn boy model is 28222
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I could send pdf of maual
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Send pdf of manual

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

I have manual!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Page 13 shows you can remove the panel and let it hang, to get to spark plug, this will let you get to the back side of the panel and look for the shutoff /keyswitch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, key is missing, i dont see little ignition switch, , i see a wire which may be what ignition switch plugs in to , i dont see that on diagram. it must have popped off while i was using blower. interestingly snow blower did noit shut down , i shut it off by stalling it via choke. i am not sure it will start without ignition switch or key
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wow it started without ignition switch . had a hard time shutting it off. i did so by choking it repeatedly and pumping primer. so much for safety. looks like the switch is off and its locked in on position , is that possible?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Switch can be locked, it may have gotten hot, and melted! all it does is short out the kill wire to the coil. If you ground the single wire, going to the engine it will kill it. To start it, just insulate the wire, so it does not ground out!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hmmm, i see a single wire with a plastic connector coming from somewhere . The connector has two linear " female plugs". Judging from drawing and closeup of ignition switch , the switch has two "prongs" o it that looks like they plug into the plastic connector at end of ignition wire. So how do I ground the wire to stop , blower while its running ? or insulate wire so it does not ground ?I have ordered another switch and key .
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

The two wires,, one goes to engine, the other goes to a ground point. Just keep the wire going to the engine isolated, so it does not ground out. To kill engine, just touch it to the metal of the engine?