Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My power curve just stopped suddenly. Three years old. Never…

Customer Question
Hi My power curve just stopped...
Hi
My power curve just stopped suddenly. Three years old. Never done anything to it. What can I look to do. Thanks. Chuck.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
1/24/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Can you provide a little more information about what happened? Does the engine still run? If not, have you taken the spark plug out and inspected it or replaced it?

This is an all electric blower. No spark plug
It just stopped in the middle of the job as if we're unplugged. I tried new extension cords. Nothing.

Sorry, I have been so used to answering gas powered questions for the last two days that I just assumed it was a gas powered machine.

Do you hear any kind of noises coming the motor when you try to operate it?

No nothing. Is there a fuse I this unit that I m not aware of?

There are no fuses but the motor does have a thermal protection relay in it that if the motor gets too hot it will shut if off in order to keep from doing serious damage to the motor. Once it cools off it should come back on an run again. It sounds like the thermal relay make have tripped. Had you been using it for a while when this happened?

In really high snow. I'll try it now that it s cooled off and get back to you shortly vthx

It may need to sit for a little while to cool off before it will come back on but I do believe that is what has happened. You have probably gotten it hot enough to trip the thermal relay and when it does it won't come back on until the motor cools back down. Let me know what happens.

Bummer. Still does work. Very cool now. Hasn't been used for hours. Another thought is the grey plug at the top of the handle. It's inserted but what does it do?

It is a safety key that will not allow the machine to run if it is not in place. As long as it is fully inserted there should be no problem with it.

You may have damaged the motor if you have been running it in heavy snow for an extended length of time.

Possible . I ll need to send it to the manufacturer I guess. Thanks.

Or at least an authorized repair center to have it repaired, however cost of repair may be as much as a new machine.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.