Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a new Troy Built 2100 snow blower. It will not start.

Customer Question
I have a new Troy...
I have a new Troy Built 2100 snow blower. It will not start. Ethanol free gas, full tank and oil are new and check out. What do I need to do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/24/2016
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 2 years ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Is this the first time that you have tried to start it? It is brand new? Have you checked to see if you are getting spark to the spark plug?

It is brand new. I have not tried the spark test. I am not sure where the plug is. When I use the electric start it cranks but will not start. Is this irrelevant to the spark plug and would happen regardless?
John, are you still there?

Sorry, I had stepped away. It cranking is going to happen regardless. If there is no spark to plug then the engine is not going to start and run. It being a brand new machine I would recommend that you take it back to where you purchased it or to an authorized dealer to have it repaired under the warranty. You can check for spark before doing that however to make certain that is either is or isn't firing.

How do I access the plug and do a spark test on my snowblower?

You will need to remove the cover that is on the back of the machine in order to gain access to the spark plug.

Ok. So once I have access how do I determine if I have a spark?

The easiest way is to remove the spark plug from the engine, insert it back into the spark plug wire, hold it against something metal around the engine area and crank the engine while watching to see if you get a spark at the plug.

Ok. I'll be back in a while.

Let me know what you find.